During my career I’ve managed hundreds of Information Security projects from commercial and delivery perspectives for Corsaire and NCC Group. Many of these projects were for large blue chip organisations with a mixture of different maturity levels, seeking consultancy services anywhere between a penetration test of an in-house application, to a physical security assessment of a 3rd party data centre. I have assisted many organisations in developing a programme of activities to deliver a significant improvement in their ability to thwart many types of attack, and also reach legal and tick-box goals such as PCI DSS compliance. My responsibilities included, but not limited to the following:
- Organising Project Scoping
- Proposing the agreed scope and commercial aspects to the client
- Organising commercial paperwork to adhere to legal requirements
- Overseeing the resource scheduling and delivery of the project
- Issuing assessment results and other project deliverables
- Organising aftercare, presentations and post testing support
I’ve managed many software implementation projects for CliniSys, a leading provider of innovative, high performance Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), and TeamUltra, a Computacenter company, who is the EMEA’s leading ServiceNow Gold Services partner.
I’ve assisted these organisations in the commercial, development, configuration and deployment aspects of recurring sales based projects.
My responsibilities included, but not limited to the following:
- Managing the stages of the development and deployment lifecycle
- Ensuring all project management activities from end to end are controlled, thus ensuring projects run to time, budget and quality
- Implementing the PRINCE2 Project Management methodology
- Faced paced environment – managing resources across multiple projects
- Risk, resource and stakeholder management
- Resource management across internal teams and third party vendors
- Hosting of internal and external project meetings
- Integrating with the Product teams and owners
- Submission and tracking of RFCs
- Understanding and developing clients’ long and short term strategies
- Creating Project Initiation Documentation
THE VEILED NOTE
This was a business venture which involved project management of bringing a product from inception to a market deliverable.
- Product creation
- Web design
- Brand evolution
- Supplier negotiations
- Competitive analysis
- Marketing initiatives
The product was successfully brought to market within the planned timescales, and exceeded the estimated revenue milestones.
Corsaire’s recruitment process required formal structure so I managed an initiative to create a defined hiring process. The project included:
- Determining our preferred job posting methods (Linkedin, Agencies etc)
- Introduction of an application form for initial candidate consideration
- Introduction of candidate psychometric profiling and DBS checks
- Standardising the interviewing process for consistency
- Defining training and handover processes
- Reference checking procedures
- Documenting and supplying the new process information to all hiring managers
- Updating relevant HR material e.g. Offer Letters, Company Handbooks
As a result of the changes that were implemented, Corsaire was able to streamline their hiring process across all teams; saving hiring managers’ time and producing a higher calibre of candidates during the interview process as well as increasing the employee retention rate.
- Organising initial customer feedback
- Working with design agencies to develop a brand visual
- Including Competitive Advantage / Value Propositions to the new brand
- All Marketing Documentation refreshed : Website, Flyers, Brochures etc
- Updating internal and client facing documentation
- Brand release event for our clients
The brand update had extremely positive results, which were proven though client feedback surveys and a significant increase in client referrals and recommendations.
Creating a process to enable Corsaire to save time and provide consistency during a tender process. The project included:
- Determining the current win ratio
- Creating template answers for commonly asked questions in tenders
- Determining our criteria for deciding whether we wish to participate in the tender. Is it good business for us?
- Creating bid planning options to highlight our competitive edge
- Enabling ways to submit template responses in multiple formats and methods
- Creating a bid team consisting of technical and commercial personnel to be responsible for overseeing all tender activities
By developing a strategy to determine which tenders would provide value to the company, it enabled Corsaire to effectively manage their resources and obtain a higher win ratio.
An encryption tool had been developed in house in 2008, however technology had surpassed it, and the software was starting to cause problems for clients trying to retrieve their sensitive data.
I successfully project managed to completion the in-house design and development of the new Secure Portal, allowing clients to retrieve their report deliverable via a browser in a secure manner, replacing the outdated encryption tool.
Since implementation of the secure portal, there was a significant drop in logged incidents, and feedback on user-experience was highly positive.
The project ran for one quarter and was developed by Corsaire security consultants. The portal could be used with any of the major browsers on Windows and OS X technology. Access to the file was provided by 2 factor authentication.
Corsaire had a requirement for a secure, single point of reference for all of their client information. They were concerned about using a cloud based solution so decided to develop a locally hosted application in-house.
The project ran for 2 months across multiple department teams. The application was developed by Corsaire security consultants using Google GWT, Spring, Maven and MySQL database technologies.
The contact application not only stored customer data in a single database but also allowed us to mail merge far more effectively and provided access to a single set of unified information across all company teams.